Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Chex Mix

With an impending 11 hour road trip, I started planning what snack food we would take with us.  I had the normal cheerios, raisins, almonds, and string cheese.  I wanted something salty.  I settled on chex mix.  Below are two different ways to make it.  I always make it in the oven but I am sure the microwave directions work just fine.  I left out the mixed nuts in the original recipe since Tony's allergic to peanuts.

CHEX MIX
(modified from Chex website)
Makes: 10 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes

Peanut-Free Chex Mix
Ingredients:
3 cups Corn Chex-type cereal 
3 cups Rice Chex-type cereal 
3 cups Wheat Chex-type cereal 
1 cup  pretzels 
6 tablespoons butter or margarine 
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt 
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder 
1/2 teaspoon onion powder 

Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 250°F. 

2. In large bowl, mix cereals, and pretzels. 

3. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. I used my dutch oven.

4. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. 

5. Bake 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. 

6. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. 

7. Store in airtight container. 

Quicker Instructions:
Total time: 25 minutes
1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, and pretzels
2. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. 
3. Stir in seasonings. 
4. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated. 
5. Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. 
6. Spread on paper towels to cool. 
7. Store in airtight container.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...